1. S’mores, s’mores, s’mores. Like this s’mores pie (AND this one!). Or this s’more dip. Or this s’more ice cream cake. I’m so upset that I can’t have a bonfire in the middle of my studio apartment that I just need to try one of these no-open-flame-necessary recipes RIGHT NOW.
2. Chinatown. Tanner and I took a food tour of the Chinatown area on the South side of Chicago, and it was FANTASTIC. I could not recommend the tour or our wonderful tour guide, Ploy, enough.
3. Taro puffs. This is an extension of my last point, but I just can’t get over them. Who would have thought that a little root could taste SO delicious.
4. Green tea with peach at Ten Ren. Okay, okay, I’ll stop talking about Chinatown things after this one. This had to be the most refreshing, deliciously sweet drink I have ever imbibed. Usually I don’t like to drink my calories (and have thus fallen captive to the Diet Coke Gods), but man was this worth it. I wish I had crept behind the counter to see how the barista made it.
4. Brunch. This weekend we finally went to Yolk, which is right by our apartment and always has a huge line out the door. Brunch is by far my favorite meal, and I thoroughly enjoyed the fact that I could have my savory AND sweet by ordering a Countryside Skillet with a side of Blueberry-Banana Crunch Pancakes. While I still want to head over to Nightwood and Longman & Eagle for brunch one day, I’ll curb my appetite with some s’more muffins from Dominick’s (ode to #1) or these lil donuts and this frittata.
5. This waste bin that expands when you put more crap in it, getting cuter and pudgier as the surrounding area gets smellier and smellier.
6. Food challenges. And I’m not talking about those hot dog-eating contests. I’m talking about really challenging recipes that even Julia Childs took awhile to perfect (probably…maybe). I plan on trying my hand at croissants or brie.
7. This. Yup. Yep. Yep. Mmmm-hmmm.